For the Kids: Create a 5 Minute Video for the Chicago Children’s Theater Play @ Home Contest
The Chicago Children’s Theater launched a Play @ Home contest for school kids stuck at home to get creative and create their own 5 minute videos and enter them into the CCT contest. The top three staff picks will be featured on CTC’s YouTube page and the winner will receive a Family Four Pack for the 2020-21 theater season or a free performing arts class session. The contest deadline is April 20.
The competition encourages young artists (12 and under) to create video stories using their imaginations, found objects and family members, pets and stuffed animals. Kids can write their own scripts, find props and costumes around the house, and perform their original work on video.
The theater says that nothing is really forbidden. You can “create new artwork for the landscape, use your favorite stuffed animal as a sidekick, enlist your cat to play a superhero, or create puppets with spoons.” Maybe even pick a parent as your archenemy. Or build a blanket fort for your lab. Have someone take photos while you work on your video so you have âon setâ photos to share.
Here are the rules for the Play @ Home contest.
– Your game must include a mythical creature of your choice, an evil villain and one of your family members.
– Your video should be 5 minutes or less.
– You must be 12 or younger to participate.
– The deadline is Monday April 20.
– Send the video (ask an adult to help you) via Dropbox, Google Drive or WeTransfer to [email protected]
– Ask a parent or guardian to help you earn extra points by sharing parts of your video and photos on set on FaceTime and instagram. Use the hashtag #PlayAtHomeContest.
If you have any questions, you can email Dexter Ellis, Director of Education and Community Programs, at [email protected] Dexter and CCT Teaching Artists can help families via email or host a FaceTime or Google Duo session.